The Office of the Vice-Provost, Innovations in Undergraduate Education has launched the 2023-2024 round of proposals for the Learning & Education Advancement Fund (LEAF). This Fund supports projects that anticipate, leverage, and create positive changes in both the modes and mechanisms of undergraduate education at the University of Toronto.
LEAF supports two streams of funding, with the following timelines:
- Seed grants ($5,000—$10,000 per year, for a max. of 3 years) are accepted twice per year. Seed grants are intended to encourage experimentation at the local level (within a course or set of courses), as a means to foster small-scale innovations or pilots with the potential for scalability. The project must have a well-defined connection to the curriculum of an academic program.
- Impact grants ($10,000—$100,000 per year, for a max. of 3 years) accepted once a year in the fall cycle. Impact grants are designed to support large-scale projects with the potential to significantly enhance core elements of undergraduate education within or across academic units and divisions. The project must have a well-defined connection to the curriculum of an academic program.
If you have an idea for a teaching and learning initiative and would like to discuss whether it might be appropriate for LEAF, please contact Alex Logue, Assistant Director, Teaching & Learning Initiatives, firstname.lastname@example.org.
LEAF Proposal Process
The Learning Education Advancement Fund (LEAF) program operates through a two-step application process for all grants, both Impact and Seed Streams:
- Submission of an Expression of Interest, including a consultation with the LEAF program team;
- Submission of a full application package.
Impact Grants are accepted once a year.
- Expressions of Interest must be completed between March and September.
- Full applications are due in early November.
Seed Grants are accepted twice a year.
- Fall Expressions of Interest are accepted between March and September. A full application is due November 7, 2023.
- Winter Expressions of Interest are due between February and April. A full application is due April 11, 2024.
Note: Before advancing to the full applicants, PI(s) need to contact their Dean’s Offices to establish eligibility and determine divisional processes. Please contact Alex Logue, Assistant Director, Teaching & Learning Initiatives, at email@example.com for more information.
2023/2024 Fall Seed & Impact Grants
- Expression of Interest Deadline: Thursday, September 7, 2023
- Full Proposal Deadline: Tuesday, November 7, 2023*
2023/2024 Winter Seed Grants
- Expression of Interest Deadline: Tuesday, February 27, 2024
- Full Proposal Deadline: Thursday, April 11, 2024
For application materials and further details on the process, please visit the LEAF website.