Graduate Funding in Arts & Science

How Graduate Funding Works in A&S

Graduate students in funded programs receive a minimum level of financial support while they are in the funded cohort. Funding packages are developed by each graduate unit, in accordance with Faculty of Arts & Science policy. Sources of funding include academic scholarships, internal awards, teaching assistantships (TA) and research assistantships (RA), which form the foundation of the funding package. If funding from these sources amounts to less than the A&S minimum level of financial support, University of Toronto Fellowships are provided to make up the difference.

Student income is often higher than the minimum financial support package, and may significantly exceed the A&S minimum level in graduate units that have abundant TA opportunities or high-value RA-ships. For more information, including a listing of which programs are funded in each department, visit How Graduate Funding Works.

The A&S Minimum Financial Support Package

Funding packages consist of a minimum amount of financial support, plus tuition and fees. In 2021, the Faculty of Arts & Science announced a $1,500 three-year funding increase, which will see the minimum financial support amount increase to $20,500 in the Humanities and Social Sciences and $21,000 in the Sciences by 2024-25. Learn more about the A&S Base Funding Package and Funding by Graduate Unit.

Internal Scholarships

Scholarships are awarded by various divisions of the University of Toronto and through the School of Graduate Studies, which holds an annual competition for University-wide awards. Most Arts & Science academic units also award scholarships. Consult your home department's website for details. Learn more about Faculty of Arts & Science awards and School of Graduate Studies awards.

External Scholarships

Major scholarships granted by agencies external to the University include NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council), SSHRC (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council) and OGS (Ontario Graduate Scholarships). Applications for these awards are usually submitted through your home department. Visit the School of Graduate Studies website to learn more about government-funded and other external awards.