The Arts & Science Council considers and approves policy for the Faculty of Arts & Science. It approves academic policy for the Faculty in areas such as curriculum, admissions, academic units, and regulations governing evaluation and standing.
Meeting information, with agendas and documentation for review is made available to members and posted on the Arts & Science Governance SharePoint site one week ahead of a meeting of Council.
2023–24 Meeting Schedule
All meetings are on Wednesday mornings, 9:10–11 am. Meetings are scheduled to take place in a hybrid format to maximize engagement. Meeting end times may be adjusted depending on the meeting agenda. An orientation for members will be held in late September/early October.
- October 18, 2023
- November 15, 2023
- December 13, 2023
- February 14, 2024
- March 20, 2024
- April 17, 2024
If you are not member of Council but would like to receive information about Council or attend as a Guest, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list.
Membership of Arts & Science Council
Elected (voting) members of Council include:
- One member of the teaching staff from each Arts & Science department (not the chair)
- One member of the teaching staff from each college (not the principal)
- One member of the teaching staff from each extra-departmental unit A, or stand-alone program (not the director)
- Three full-time undergraduate students, Humanities
- Three full-time undergraduate students, Social Sciences
- Three full-time undergraduate students, Sciences
- Three full-time undergraduate students in first year
- Two part-time undergraduate students
- Six graduate students in a program of study within the Faculty of Arts & Science, two from each of the three sectors
- Five administrative and technical staff including at least one college registrar in a program of study within the Faculty of Arts & Science, two from each of the three sectors
Ex-officio members (non-voting) of Council include:
- President of the University (or designate)
- Vice-President and Provost of the University (or designate)
- Dean of the Faculty of Arts & Science
- Vice-Deans and Associate Deans of the Faculty of Arts & Science
- Faculty Registrar
- Secretary of Council
- Chairs of each Department
- Principals of the St. George Colleges
- Directors of Faculty of Arts & Science EDU-As, and stand-alone programs
- Registrars of the St. George Colleges (excluding voting members)
- President of Arts and Science Students’ Union
- President of Association of Part-Time Undergraduate Students
- Delegated Executive Member of Graduate Students’ Union
- Vice-Principal (Academic), University of Toronto Mississauga (or designate)
- Vice-Principal (Academic), University of Toronto Scarborough (or designate)
- Dean of the School of Graduate Studies (or designate)
A meeting quorum requires attendance of 25 Voting members.
Agenda items for the Arts & Science Council are reviewed by the Agenda Committee prior to each meeting of the Council. Please send proposed agenda items (including motions for approval, items referred by Standing Committees, items for discussion, and memorial resolutions) to email@example.com on the deadlines listed below.
|Agenda Committee Meeting||Deadline to Submit Item of
Council Business for Consideration by the
|October 5, 2023, from 10:10–11 am||September 25, 2023|
|November 3, 2023, from 9:10–10 am||October 24, 2023|
|December 4, 2023, from 9:10–10 am||November 24, 2023|
|February 5, 2024, from 9:10–10 am||January 26, 2024|
|March 8, 2024, from 9:10–10 am||February 27, 2024|
|April 8, 2024, from 9:10–10 am||March 28, 2024|
Documentation for Previous Council Meetings
All previous documentation including but not limited to agendas, minutes, proposals, and memorial resolutions.