Student holding flowers at convocation ceremony

Preparing to Graduate

Graduation ceremonies (or Convocations) happen twice a year – in June and in November. Convocation dates are posted on the Convocation website.

If you are a graduating student, make sure to check the Convocation checklist to order your guest tickets, order your regalia (gown and hood) and request accommodation.

Degree Requirements to Graduate

In order to graduate, students must have completed 20.0 credits and their program requirements. It is your responsibility to ensure that all degree and program requirements will be met by the end of the:

  • Fall/Winter session if you wish to graduate in June
  • Summer session if you wish to graduate in November

You can confirm your program requirements using the Degree Explorer or speak to your college registrar. Remember that while Degree Explorer is a useful tool, it is not definitive. It is your responsibility to verify that you have fulfilled all degree and program requirements. For assistance, you can refer to the Degree Requirements section of the Calendar. If you have questions about the requirements to graduate, contact:

Suggested article on Sidney Smith Commons: Do I have everything I need to graduate?

Requesting Graduation

Once all of your degree requirements are complete, you can request to graduate on ACORN or at College Registrar’s office. You must request to graduate in ACORN by the deadline listed on the Academic Dates & Deadlines page.

If you do not have a degree request option in ACORN or if your degree information is incorrect, please contact your College Registrar’s office.

Name and Degree on Diploma

ACORN lists the degree program that you are eligible to graduate with (eg: Honours Bachelor of Arts). If you are eligible and wish to graduate with a different degree than the one specified, contact your College Registrar's office.

Your name will appear on your diploma as it is displayed on ACORN. You can request changes to the name on your diploma through:

Please note the deadline to request name changes is posted on the Convocation website. Name changes requested after the deadline will not be reflected on your diploma. You can request a replacement diploma which reflects the name change through the Office of Convocation


Graduation Letter Requests

You can request a letter from the Faculty of Arts & Science confirming:

  • Your intent to graduate - stating that you have requested to graduate at the next convocation and that upon successful completion of your current courses, you will be eligible to graduate. (See example PDF)

  • Your eligibility to graduate - stating that you are eligible to graduate at the next convocation and have completed your degree requirements. (See example PDF)

  • Your graduation - confirming your degree and the date it was conferred. (See example PDF). Please note that letters will not be available if you have a financial hold on your account.

The fee for the letter is $8.00 per copy, payable online by credit card or in person by debit or credit card. You can request a letter by:

  • Requesting graduation on ACORN
  • Paying the $8.00 fees 

Current students: Submit your request using the Online Services for A&S Students website.
Alumni: Submit your request using the Online Services for A&S Graduates website


The Dean's Promise

The Faculty is committed to ensuring that graduating students can enrol in a set of courses that will allow them to graduate. This commitment depends upon the student doing all that is necessary at the optimum/appropriate times as indicated in the Registration Instructions and in the Calendar. The Dean promises that you can enrol in (a) mandatory course(s) if you have enrolled in the appropriate programs (changes to program in the final year of graduation may not be considered), completed appropriate prerequisites and requested courses from a full range of the possible options that would allow you to complete your program and degree. In order to take advantage of the Dean’s promise, you must have used ACORN to attempt enrolment in these courses at the earliest possible opportunity. 

If you need a course to complete a program requirement, contact the department before the course enrolment deadline. If you need a course to complete a degree requirement (for example to fulfill a breadth requirement), contact your College Registrar's Office by the course enrolment deadline. 

For the 2020/21 academic year (from September 2020 to April 2021), the Dean is extending the Dean’s Promise due to the challenges resulting from COVID-19. While most A&S courses can be taken online throughout 2020/21, some A&S courses may only be delivered in-person. If any of these courses are required for program completion, the Dean’s Promise will be applied for students needing them to graduate. This means that for students planning to graduate in June 2021, if they choose to learn online in 2020/21 and require a course that is only being offered in-person to complete their program requirements, the Dean promises an alternative online course will be made available to them. In some cases, programs may also consider other courses already completed that could fulfill courses required for program completion.


Upgrading a Previously Conferred Degree

If you have already graduated with a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree and wish to upgrade your degree to a four-year or Honours degree, you may submit a request to upgrade your degree using ACORN, or you may submit a request at your college registrar's office. If you are upgrading your degree, you will not be eligible to attend the convocation ceremony. You will be eligible to exchange your existing degree for an Honours degree upgrade at the Office of Convocation in late June. Please note that upgrades to four-year Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degrees are noted on your transcript only and do not entitle you to a new parchment. 


College Graduation Website Links: