The University of Toronto requires that all courses, both undergraduate and graduate, be evaluated by students. The normal practice in Arts & Science is to utilize the University of Toronto’s centralized course evaluation framework and online delivery system. This framework provides a customizable course evaluation form that includes 8 core institutional questions and 3 Arts & Science questions. Academic units and instructors may each choose to add up to 3 questions drawn from a central question bank. Currently, course evaluation information and data are shared with divisions, academic administrators, instructors and students through email and Quercus. Student responses to instructor-selected questions are only shared with the instructor.
ROSI Express Verification
To ensure that the Course Evaluation Team has accurate course and instructor information for the online course evaluation system, each department must review and make any necessary changes to the two ROSI Express Reports, “Course/Instructor Diagnostics” and “Scheduled Courses for Evaluation”.
- The Winter term deadline for verifying course data in ROSI has past. Please contact the CTSI Course Evaluations Team directly for support (email@example.com).
Instructors may add up to 3 questions to their course evaluation form from the central question bank during this period. Instructors will receive an email from the Course Evaluation Team prompting them to do this.
- Winter 2020 Term: March 2 - 11, 2020
Students are invited to evaluate their courses during this period:
- Winter 2020 Term: March 18 - April 3, 2020
Course Evaluation Reports Release Dates
Resources for Faculty and Staff
Arts & Science Documents
- Further Research on Gender Bias in Course Evaluation Data (PDF)
- A&S Procedures for Course Evaluations (provides detailed information on the roles and responsibilities of the institution, division, academic unit, and instructor). Please contact Thuy Huynh, Senior Project Coordinator, Teaching & Learning, firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy.
- A&S Course Evaluation Interpretation Guidelines for Academic Administrators. Please contact Thuy Huynh, Senior Project Coordinator, Teaching & Learning, email@example.com for more information.
Available on the Course Evaluation Website (require UTORid log-in to access the files):
- CTSI Tip Sheet for Running Online Course Evaluations in Class
- PowerPoint Slide to Announce in-class Evaluations
- ROSI Express: Confirm Instructors for Evaluation
- ROSI Express: Instructor and Coordinator Diagnostic Report (PPT)
- Designated User: Error Solution Walk-through (Winter 2014) (PDF)
- Designated User: How to Add Additional Instructors Walk-through (PPT)