The Faculty of Arts & Science supports Departments, EDU-As, EDU-Bs, and Colleges to engage in short and long-term planning for their units, including undergraduate and graduate curricula and programs of study. In particular, assistance is available for academic retreats, which provide dedicated time for collective discussion about:
- University of Toronto Quality Assurance Process (UTQAP) reviews or academic planning following a UTQAP review.
- Current opportunities and challenges a unit may experience, for example, shifts in faculty research, teaching interests or student enrolment.
- Review of ongoing strengths for programs and new directions to pursue, which can include, faculty-wide initiatives in research-intensive teaching, experiential learning or First-Year Foundations.
- Exploration of ongoing or potential connections with other A&S units.
- Faculty development and pedagogical exploration.
- A Guide to Curriculum Renewal at the University of Toronto (PDF)
- Arts & Science Academic Retreats Planning Guide (PDF)
Funding is available to support logistical expenses associated with planning and running a retreat. Units may request up to $5,000 of matching funds once every 3 years. Funding will be transferred to units after the retreat has taken place and expenses have been submitted to Erin Macnab, Assistant Director of Teaching & Learning Initiatives.