Opportunities Outside the Classroom

Arts & Science students have access to countless opportunities outside the classroom. Whether you want to join the Quidditch team, become a member of a beekeeping club, volunteer in the community or work on-campus, there is something for everyone. 

Students dance club as part of an extracurricular activity


  • Sports and Athletics: You can join an intramural team, take fitness classes or attend a Varsity Blues game.
  • Student Clubs: Cultivate your curiosity, explore your passions and create your own community by joining a student club. You’ll find a club for almost every pursuit — from beekeeping to breakdancing, magic to mahjong, Quidditch to space robots. 
  • Volunteering or Working in the Community: Join the Centre for Community Partnerships to find community-based opportunities around the city.
  • Arts and Theatre: Get on stage at the Hart House Theatre or explore the world of art with the Art Committee at Hart House.
  • Campus Newspapers: Join one of the campus newspapers and gain real-world writing experience.
students working on campus

Employment Opportunities

  • Internships: For eligible students, the Arts & Science Internship Program (ASIP) combines paid work experience with specialized professional development training. 
  • Work Study: Find opportunities for part-time employment on campus. In addition to financial income, most Work Study jobs offer practical experience related to your field of study or work duties which may allow you to explore future academic programs or career areas.
  • Part-time Employment: The Student Life office provides resources aimed at helping you build job search skills. You can also learn about part-time employment opportunities on- and off-campus.
  • International Student Opportunities: 
    • ASIP, Work Study and other part-time work opportunities on campus are available to international students during your studies
    • You must obtain a co-op or intern work permit prior to your first work term to participate in ASIP 
    • You may obtain permission to work part time off campus following six months of study
    • You may also stay in Toronto and work full time during holidays and between academic terms
    • See the Centre for International Experience for more information on working off campus
    • As a graduating international student from a Canadian university, you may be allowed to stay and work in Canada, full time, for up to three years
    • The Centre for International Experience can provide more information about the post-graduation work permit