A&S student Bushra shares the benefits of participating in an international experience.
Immerse yourself in another culture by studying abroad
From studying Italian culture in Tuscany, to experiencing Shakespeare in England, to participating in an archaeological dig in Georgia, this is your chance to explore the world beyond the classroom by spending a week, a term or a full year abroad. Studying abroad enables you to:
- Immerse yourself in other cultures and languages
- Gain a deeper understanding of your course material
- Make unforgettable connections and memories
- Gain meaningful international experiences that may strengthen your job or graduate program applications
Types of International Opportunities
Explore the opportunities below to find an international option that suits your needs or create your own adventure.
Hear how an international experience helped A&S student Kathleen.
Go Away For a Week
Engage in an intensive cultural experience during your Reading Week as part of a course. You might surprise yourself with how much you can learn about another culture and yourself in a brief period.
- International or Indigenous Course Modules (IICM): IICMs are either international or Indigenous modules within an existing course. You and your classmates will engage with Indigenous or other communities somewhere around the world, applying course content while earning an academic credit.
Watch Echo and Stephanie talk about their research trip to Singapore.
Spend a Summer
Turn your summer travel plans into an incredible learning opportunity while you visit and learn about another part of the world.
- Research Excursions Program (REP): Through the REP, third-year students have an opportunity to contribute to faculty research in an off-campus setting, either in Canada or abroad.
- Summer Abroad: Enrich your academic experience with an exciting and educational summer international experience. This program enables you to earn a full-year U of T degree credit in 3–6 weeks.
- Summer Exchange: Go on a short-term exchange for one to eight weeks and get a glimpse into the benefits of studying abroad.
Meet Manou, an Arts & Science student who did a year-long exchange in Japan.
Experience a Term or a Year
Spending a term or a full year in another country allows you to immerse yourself in another place, giving you an opportunity to improve your language skills and earn credit toward your degree. Choose from partner universities in more than 50 different countries!
- International Student Exchange: Go on a longer exchange for either one term or a full year. You will experience a different academic environment and connect with students and professors from diverse backgrounds. Develop transferrable skills while boosting your academic profile. In order to maintain your U of T student status, participants are required to pay U of T tuition fees during the course of their exchange.
Gregory shares why he chose a research experience in Argentina.
Create Your Own Adventure
There are several international and intercultural programs available to A&S students. For a week, a summer or a year, you can undertake an international or domestic experience of your own design.
- Apply for funding: Explore the different funding options, like the Undergraduate Research Fund, where you may be eligible to develop your own research project.
- Take a language course: There are more than 40 different languages that you can study during your time at U of T!
- Enrol in a Global Classrooms course: Immerse yourself in other cultures without leaving campus by collaborating with international institutions, global partners and guest lecturers online.