As an Arts & Science student, you have access to a variety of funding opportunities offered by the University of Toronto and its faculties, colleges and academic divisions. These student awards (scholarships and grants) recognize academic excellence, and may also consider financial need, community involvement, leadership, creativity and other qualities.
Explore the types of awards available to Arts & Science students below. To learn more, and to browse the full list of awards available to future and current U of T students, visit Award Explorer.
Students are automatically considered for a variety of admission awards when they apply to the University, while other awards require students to complete a separate application or awards profile. Learn more about admission awards.
After first year, students are eligible for in-course awards, which are awarded to students who are excelling in their studies. Top students will automatically be considered for most of these awards, however, some opportunities do require applications. Some awards consider financial need as well as academic merit.
Faculty of Arts & Science Awards
The Faculty of Arts & Science offers over 500 awards to undergraduate students. These include:
- Dean’s Student Initiative Fund: Provides financial support for student initiatives that aspire to create dialogue and foster a greater sense of community through special events, lectures, or other forms of community engagement.
- International and Research Awards: The Faculty offers a variety of awards to fund research projects and international studies.
- ASSU Graduating Student Leadership Award: Provides funding to graduating students who are enrolled in a graduate program in the Faculty of Arts & Science.
- Cyril A. Morong Scholarship of Excellence: Provides recognition and $1,250 to meritorious black students who demonstrate financial need and leadership ability.
Each college offers awards based on leadership, merit and other criteria. Visit the awards page within each college for more details:
- Innis College Awards
- New College Awards
- St. Michael's College Awards
- Trinity College Awards
- University College Awards
- Victoria College Awards
- Woodsworth College Awards
Other Awards and Scholarships
- Academic departments: Most academic departments offer awards for undergraduate students. Visit your departmental website or speak to an advisor for help with department awards.
- Graduate awards: View a list of major graduate awards on the School of Graduate Studies website.
- Awards to study abroad: In addition to the international and research awards listed above and in Award Explorer, the Centre for International Experience coordinates a variety of awards to help students study abroad.