Students in the funded cohort are eligible for financial support for up to five years of funding at a level which is equal to or exceeds the A&S minimum financial support package. Graduate units determine which years and which programs to fund. They may fund one or more years of the master’s program and may choose to fund a given year at 50%. If a program is funded, funding commences in the first session of registration in the program.
Each graduate unit has a “funded cohort” that consists of:
- The first year of a master’s program or the first four years of a PhD program (the “1 and 4” option), or
- A 50% funded one-year master’s program and four fully funded years, plus one 50% funded year, of a PhD Program (the “0.5 and 4.5 option”), or
- The first five years of a PhD program with an unfunded master’s program (the “0 and 5” option)
- If a direct-entry option exists, the first five years of a direct-entry PhD program
In some instances, master’s students are funded up to 1.33 years, with the remainder of the funding applied to the PhD program. Funding always begins in the first session of registration in a funded program. The table below indicates each department’s funded cohort.
The 2023–24 A&S minimum financial support package is $28,214 for the humanities & social sciences, $28,714 for the sciences. This minimum financial support package includes funding toward tuition and fees and will increase by $500 in 2024–25. As the table below shows, many graduate units provide enhanced packages that exceed the A&S minimum financial support package. These amounts do not include Program-Level Fellowship funds.
|Department||Years of Funding||Minimum Financial Support Package|
|Name||Master's||PhD||PhD Direct Entry||Actual 2023–24||Estimated 2024–25|
|Astronomy and Astrophysics||1||4||5||36,464||36,964|
|Cell and Systems Biology||2||4||5||30,714||31,214|
|Criminology and Sociolegal Studies||0||5||0||28,214||28,714|
|Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies||0.5||4.5||5||28,214||28,714|
|East Asian Studies||0||5||5||33,214||33,214|
|Ecology and Evolutionary Biology||1||4||5||33,214||33,214|
|French Language and Literature||0.5||4.5||5||28,214||28,714|
|Geography and Planning||1||4||5||28,214||28,714|
|Germanic Languages and Literatures||0||5||5||28,214||28,714|
|History & Philosophy of Science & Technology||1||4||5||28,214||28,714|
|Industrial Relations and Human Resources||0||5||5||28,214||28,714|
|Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations||0||5||5||28,214||28,714|
|Slavic Languages and Literatures||1||4||0||28,214||28,714|
|Women and Gender Studies||1||4||5||28,214||28,714|
- Funding commences in the first session of registration in the program unless program design dictates otherwise. If program funding commences in year one, students cannot defer funding to a subsequent session or year.
- Tuition and fees vary depending on a student’s program of study, legal status, and campus affiliation.
- The Cell Systems Biology amount shown above is for the MSc program only. The PhD minimum is $31,214 for 2023–24.
- The Earth Sciences minimum amount shown above is for the MSc program only. The PhD minimum is $38,214 for 2023–24.
- The Philosophy minimum amount shown above is for the MA program only. The PhD minimum is $34,214 for 2023–24.