February 24, 2023 by A&S News
From the trajectory of the war in Ukraine to the effects of chemical spills, scholars from a range of disciplines across the Faculty of Arts & Science are sharing their expertise on a variety of issues in the media.
Here’s some of what they had to say this week.
February 17, 2023
- Department of Political Science Professor Emeritus Nelson Wiseman comments for the Washington Post (paywall) on Canada’s decision to invoke the Emergencies Act during the “freedom convoy” rallies. He also comments for the National Post (paywall) on the cost of Toronto’s upcoming by-election and for CTV News online on the cost of Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral.
- The Globe & Mail (paywall) highlights School of Cities Director and Department of Geography & Planning Professor Karen Chapple’s research that ranks the recovery of 62 North American urban downtowns by comparing mobile phone usage.
February 18, 2023
- Department of Philosophy Professor Mark Kingwell writes in The Globe & Mail (paywall) that it is human nature to be afraid of being displaced by machines.
February 19, 2023
- An op-ed in the Toronto Star (paywall) references Department of Political Science and Munk School of Global Affairs & Public Policy Professor Lucan Way’s insights on how Europe has long appeased dictators with mutually beneficial trade.
February 21, 2023
- Department of Computer Science University Professor Emeritus Geoffrey Hinton is credited in Maclean’s for helping create Toronto’s AI boom.
- The Citizen Lab at the Munk School is noted in Wired (paywall) and Dawn for shining a light on a new type of security vulnerability facing Apple.
- Department of History professor Andres Kasekamp provides insights for The Hill (paywall) on what Russian President Vladimir Putin’s speech reveals about his plans in Ukraine.
February 22, 2023
- Department of Earth Sciences Professor Miriam Diamond talks to CityNews about the Ohio train derailment and notes that the hazard of spilled chemicals drops off quickly with distance.
- Citizen Lab Director and Department of Political Science Professor Ronald Deibert and Citizen Lab researcher Jeffrey Knockel are featured on TVO: Truth & Lies for their expertise in testing China’s internet censorship.
- Department of Political Science Assistant Professor Olga Chyzh argues in the Toronto Star (paywall) for destabilizing Russian President Vladimir Putin’s relationship with his elites.
- Helen Ketema, project lead at the School of Cities’ Infrastructure Institute, discusses with TVO online plans to build Toronto’s own Somali community centre.
- Department of Geography & Planning Professor and Infrastructure Institute at the School of Cities Director Matti Siemiatycki comments for Yahoo! News on Ontario’s new housing legislation.