The Faculty of Arts & Science offers over 500 admission and in-course awards to undergraduate students. These awards recognize academic excellence, and may also consider financial need, community involvement, leadership, creativity and other qualities.
Students are automatically considered for a variety of admission awards when they apply to the University. Some awards require students to complete a separate application or an awards profile.
Newly admitted students are encouraged to visit U of T's Award Explorer to find details about awards including eligibility, application requirements and applicable deadlines.
New for Fall 2020: University of Toronto International Scholar Award - Faculty of Arts & Science
The University of Toronto International Scholar Award - Faculty of Arts & Science is awarded to incoming international students upon registration in Arts & Science on the basis of merit and at the discretion of the Faculty. Students are automatically considered for an award valued up to $100,000 to be allocated over their four years of study. For more details, see the University of Toronto International Scholar Award - Faculty of Arts & Science Terms & Conditions.
After first year, students are eligible for in-course scholarships. In-course scholarships are awarded to students who are excelling in their studies. Top students will automatically be considered for most of these awards, however, some opportunities do require applications. Some awards consider financial need as well as academic merit.
Current students are encouraged to visit U of T's Award Explorer to see all scholarship and bursary opportunities available.
Featured Faculty of Arts & Science Awards
- Dean’s Student Initiative Fund: Provides financial support for student initiatives that aspire to create dialogue and foster a greater sense of community through special events, lectures, or other forms of community engagement.
- ASSU Graduating Student Leadership Award: Provides funding to graduating students who are enrolled in a graduate program in the Faculty of Arts & Science.
International and Research Awards
- Andrea and Charles Bronfman Award in Israeli Studies: Provides funding for undergraduate and graduate students studying Israel.
- Dr. David Chu Scholarship in Asia Pacific Studies: Awarded to undergraduate and graduate students who are pursuing studies or research related to the Asia Pacific region.
- Undergraduate Research Fund: Provides funding for research projects initiated by students, related to their degree, and supervised by a faculty member either through a regular course, an independent study, a research essay, or other academic project.
- Walter and Mary Tuohy Award in Arts and Science: Awarded to undergraduate students who are undertaking a period of study at an international post-secondary institution or pursuing international field work in conjunction with their U of T program.
Each college offers awards based on leadership, merit and other criteria. Visit the Scholarships page within each college for more details:
- Innis College Scholarships
- New College Scholarships
- St. Michael's College Scholarships
- Trinity College Scholarships
- University College Scholarships
- Victoria College Scholarships
- Woodsworth College Scholarships
Most academic departments offer scholarships for undergraduate students. Visit your departmental website or speak to an advisor for help with department scholarships.
The School of Graduate Studies maintains a list of major graduate awards accessible through their website.
Scholarships to Study Abroad
In addition to the International and Research awards listed above and in Award Explorer, the Centre for International Experience coordinates a variety of scholarships to help students study abroad.