Transfer credit is awarded where a final grade of at least ‘B’ is achieved.
This page outlines how transfer credit is awarded for GCE Advanced Level examinations. The following information applies only to students admitted to a degree program in the Faculty of Arts & Science for September 2020 and who are registered in the Faculty during the Fall/Winter 2020-21 session. For more information and advice, visit the Transfer Credit page.
Transfer credit is awarded where a final grade of at least ‘B’ is achieved. No transfer credit is awarded for Advanced Subsidiary level courses.
The deadline for your final official results to be sent directly from the appropriate exam board (CIE, EdExcel, AQA, OCR, SQA) to Enrolment Services at the University of Toronto to be assessed for transfer credit eligibility is August 14, 2020. You do not need to submit your actual Certificate that is normally issued in October or November. Results issued by your school are not acceptable.
The majority of courses in the Faculty of Arts & Science are classified into five breadth categories by subject content. The purpose of the Breadth Requirement is to ensure all students graduating with a degree from the Faculty of Arts & Science have chosen courses across a broad range of subject areas in the Faculty as part of their undergraduate education. Please note that some courses do not have a breadth requirement.
The five breadth categories are:
Category 1: Creative and Cultural Representations (CCR)
Category 2: Thought, Belief, and Behaviour (TBB)
Category 3: Society and Its Institutions (SII)
Category 4: Living Things and Their Environment (LTE)
Category 5: The Physical and Mathematical Universes (PMU)
The majority of secondary school transfer credits are assigned a breadth category. More information about breadth requirements can be found in the Faculty of Arts & Science Academic Calendar and on the Sidney Smith Commons.
How do I interpret the transfer credit equivalency chart?
- Course Name: The name of the course/subject you took (for example, European History or Economics).
- Transfer Credit Given: The credit that will appear on your academic record (transcript). All secondary school transfer credits are awarded as unspecified transfer credits, for example BIO1**H, CHM1**Y, or ECO1**Y.
- Credit Value: The weight of the transfer credits, either 0.5 or 1.0 (see the Academic Calendar for more information about course weight). If a course/subject is not eligible for transfer credit, the weight will be listed as N/A.
- Subject Area/Breadth Requirement: Some courses may list a subject area such as “Lang & Lit”, which is an abbreviated description of the course content, in this case, language and literature. The subject area information normally also includes the breadth requirement (BR) category for the transfer credits (see above). If no breadth requirement category is listed, the transfer credit does not contribute toward the breadth requirements. In some cases, the subject area also includes a number, which indicates the course to which the transfer credit can be considered an equivalent.
- As an example, IB Geography is awarded two transfer credits, JEG1**H with a subject area of “100 (BR=5)” and GGR1**H with a subject area of “107 (BR=3)”. JEG1**H provides a half-credit toward breadth requirement category 5 (The Physical and Mathematical Universes) and can be used as an equivalent to JEG100H1; GGR1**H provides a half-credit toward breadth requirement category 3 (Society and Its Institutions) and can be used as an equivalent to GGR107H1. It is important to note that you could, however, choose to take JEG100H1 or GGR107H1 in the Faculty of Arts & Science if you wanted to, and the courses would not be considered repeated courses.
- Program Admission: This column tells you whether the credit can be used to meet the enrolment requirements for a program of study. See the Academic Calendar for more information about program enrolment requirements.
- Program Requirements: This column tells you whether the credit can be used to meet the completion requirements for a program of study. See the Academic Calendar for more information about program completion requirements.
- Prerequisite Purposes: This column tells you whether the credit can be used to meet the prerequisite for another course. See the Academic Calendar for more information about prerequisites.
- Notes: Information in this column will normally explain information about the credit equivalency and how your transfer credit can be used for program requirements. If the note tells you to consult the program, you can find the academic unit’s contact information on their website or in the Academic Calendar.
Subjects not listed below may still be considered for transfer credit. The Faculty of Arts & Science reserves the right to change transfer credit policies without notice.
General Certificate of Education - Advanced Level Examinations
|Accounting/Princples of Accounting and Business Studies - both required||RSM1**Y||1||(BR=None)||No||No||No||N/A|
|Applied Business||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Applied Information and Communication Technology||SII1**H||0.5||(BR=3)||No||No||No||N/A|
|Art and Design||VIS1**H||0.5||Art & Design (BR=1)||No||No||No||N/A|
|Art History||FAH1**H||0.5||(BR=1)||No||Yes||No||Specialist admission requires an additional 1.0FCE in FAH.|
|Biology||BIO1**Y||1||(BR=4)||Yes||Yes||Yes||This credit is acceptable for admission into the joint EEB-CSB programs.|
|Biology A||BIO1**H||0.5||(BR=4)||Yes||Yes||Yes||This credit is acceptable for admission into the joint EEB-CSB programs.|
|Biology B||BIO1**H||0.5||(BR=4)||Yes||Yes||Yes||This credit is acceptable for admission into the joint EEB-CSB programs.|
|Business and Economics||SII1**H||0.5||(BR=3)||No||No||No||N/A|
|Chemistry||CHM1**H||0.5||135 (BR=5)||Yes||Yes||Yes||You have the equivalent of CHM135H1 & CHM136H1.|
|Chinese||EAS1**H||0.5||Chinese Lang (BR=1)||No||Yes||No||N/A|
|Computer Science||CSC1**H||0.5||(BR=5)||No||No||No||Consult with the CSC department for advising on course selection.|
|Computer Studies||CSC1**H||0.5||(BR=5)||No||No||No||Consult with the CSC department for advising on course selection.|
|Computing||CSC1**H||0.5||(BR=5)||No||No||No||Consult with the CSC department for advising on course selection.|
|Design and Technology||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Drama||DRM1**H||0.5||(BR=1)||No||Yes||No||Consult department for program requirements.|
|Drama & Theatre Studies||DRM1**H||0.5||(BR=1)||No||Yes||No||Consult department for program requirements.|
|Dress & Textile||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Economics & Public Affairs||SII1**Y||1||(BR=3)||No||No||No||N/A|
|English General||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|English Language||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|English Language and Literature||ENG1**H||0.5||Language and Lit (BR=1)||No||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|English Literature||ENG1**H||0.5||Lit (BR=1)||No||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Film Studies||CIN1**H||0.5||(BR=1)||No||No||Yes||Although a half credit, course can be used as a prerequisite in lieu of CIN105Y. Consult department.|
|Food Studies||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|French||FSL1**H||0.5||Lang (BR=1)||Only if specified after placement test||Only if specified after placement test||Only if specified after placement test||N/A|
|General Studies||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Geography||JEG1**H||0.5||100 (BR=5)||Yes (grade of A); No (grade less than A)||Yes||Yes||You have the equivalent of JEG100H1.
|Graphical Communications||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Health and Social Care||HST1**J||0.5||Health Studies (BR=3)||Yes||No||No||N/A|
|Hinduism||RLG1**Y||1||205 (BR=2+3)||Yes||Yes||Yes||You have the equivalent of RLG205H1.|
|Home Economics||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Information & Communication Technology||CSC1**H||0.5||104 (BR=5)||No||No||No||You have the equivalent of CSC104H1.|
|Leisure Studies||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Liberal Studies||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Mathematics - Applied||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Mathematics - Further||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Mathematics - Pure/Core||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Mathematics and Statistics||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Media Studies||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Music||MUS1**H||0.5||110 (BR=1)||No||Yes||No||You have the equivalent of MUS110H1 & MUS111H1.|
|Music Technology||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Physical Education||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Physics||PHY1**H||0.5||151 (BR=5)||Yes||Yes||Yes||You have the equivalent of PHY151H1 & PHY152H1.|
|Russian Language||SLA1**H||0.5||Lang (BR=1)||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Social Biology||BIO1**Y||1||(BR=4)||Yes||Yes||Yes||This credit is acceptable for admission into the joint EEB-CSB programs.|
|Sociology||SOC1**H||1||100H (BR=3)||Yes||Yes||Yes||You have the equivalent of SOC100H1.|
|Thinking Skills||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Travel and Tourism||No credit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|