The University of Toronto commissions external reviews of Faculties as part of its regular cycle of quality assurance.
Through a consultative and broad-based process that began in Fall 2017 and continued through 2018, we reflected upon our collective achievements and evaluated the Faculty’s academic and administrative performance. As a result of this process, we produced two documents:
- The 2018 A&S Priorities Discussion Paper, articulating the Faculty’s main areas of focus looking forward from 2018.
- The Faculty of Arts & Science Self-Study 2018, a retrospective document and the primary reference for the review. The self-study addressed the terms of reference for the review and documented the Faculty’s progress in achieving its academic mission for 2013-18.
As a key part of the review process, the Provost appointed a team of three external reviewers from peer institutions to undertake an assessment of the Faculty of Arts & Science. The reviewers performed a site visit on October 29-31, 2018, meeting with students, faculty, staff and academic administrators within Arts & Science, as well as senior University administrators and cognate deans.
Based on our self-study and the site visit, the reviewers provided a report in relation to Arts & Science undergraduate and graduate education, research, planning, organization and resources, our relationships with other University units and our societal impact. The reviewers’ report highlights our strengths and challenges, and recommends opportunities where we might further improve our Faculty.
Between Winter and early Fall 2019, the Faculty’s senior leadership consulted with stakeholders to discuss the reviewers’ report and its recommendations, and to draft an administrative response. The reviewers’ report and the administrative response were presented to university governance on October 30, 2019.
To send questions regarding the review, please email email@example.com.
Moving forward from the review, the Faculty is developing the 2020-25 Arts & Science Academic Plan, which will be informed in part by the reviewers’ report and the administrative response. We encourage you to visit Academic Planning regularly for updates on the planning process.
Supporting Documents for the 2018-19 External Review of the Faculty:
- Announcement of Review Team (PDF)
- Terms of Reference (PDF)
- A&S Priorities Discussion Paper 2018 (PDF)
- Self-Study October 2018 and Appendices (available to all with UTORID access)
- A&S Provostial Non-UTQAP External Review Report – January 2019 (available to all with UTORID access)
- Request for Administrative Response – August 2019 (available to all with UTORID access)
- Administrative Response – October 2019 (available to all with UTORID access)