The Research Opportunity Program (ROP) gives faculty from across Arts & Science the chance to engage second- and third-year undergraduate students in their research projects. Faculty gain valuable research assistance and students develop research skills while earning course credit.
- Faculty fill out a simple application that describes their research project and how students will participate.
- Faculty offering ROPs receive either $1,500 to $2,000 in research stipends in support of their projects.
- Faculty may co-direct ROPs if appropriate.
- Historically, more ROPs have been offered in the sciences; we encourage more faculty from Social Sciences and Humanities to consider offering ROPs. Please consult with us to learn more about creative ways to make use of the ROP in your discipline.
Applicants must hold a continuing undergraduate appointments at St. George, and those faculty with continuing appointments in Divisions that offer A&S undergraduate programs to apply in Round 1 and Round 2.
Faculty members who hold U of T appointments in divisions that do not offer A&S undergraduate programs are eligible to apply in Round 2 only.
For consultation and feedback on new ROP ideas, faculty are encouraged to reach out to Nicholas Rule, Acting Vice-Dean Undergraduate at email@example.com.
Faculty Application Process:
- Please fill out this application form, keeping to the word limits.
- Send the completed application form to your Chair/program director for review and approval.
- Once approved, the Chair/program director submits the proposal via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- New ROP applications are considered by the multi-disciplinary ROP Advisory Committee, who offer feedback when appropriate.
- The Office of the Dean will collect all student applications to the proposed ROP and send the applications to the faculty supervisor who will decide which students to accept.
Faculty are encouraged to read the information about ROPs provided to students for more detailed information about timeline process and work expectations.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.