The Faculty of Arts & Science provides a base funding package to graduate students who are in funded programs while they are in the funded cohort. Graduate students obtain academic scholarships, internal awards, teaching assistantships and research assistantships, which form the foundation of the funding package. If funding from these sources is less than the A&S base funding package, University of Toronto Fellowships are provided to bring the student up to that base funding level.
A&S Base Funding Package
In 2018, the Faculty of Arts & Science announced a $1,500 three-year funding increase, which will see the base amount increase to $18,500 in the Humanities and Social Sciences and $19,000 in the Sciences by 2021-22. In addition to the base funding package, A&S provides program level fellowship funds at $1,000 per student in the funded cohort, to be allocated as determined by each graduate unit in consultation with students.
Learn more about the A&S Base Funding Package.
- Awarded by various divisions of the University of Toronto
- Internal awards are also available through the School of Graduate Studies, which holds an annual competition for University-Wide Awards
- Most Arts & Science academic units also award scholarships; consult your home department's website for details
- Granted by agencies external to the University of Toronto
- Major external scholarships include NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council), SSHRC (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council), and OGS (Ontario Graduate Scholarships)
- Applications for these awards are usually submitted through students' home departments