Immigration Requirements

Study Permits/Visa

International applicants are strongly advised to check very early for the requirements for study permits and entry visas with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Do not wait until an admission decision has been made in order to begin the process of gathering required documentation for studying in Canada.

In some instances, the CIC office servicing your geographic region will require proof of English language proficiency in the form of a standardized test (such as IELTS). A language test is only required if a student is applying through the Student Direct Stream (SDS). A medical examination may also be required. In addition, every applicant must show proof of enough funds to cover their tuition and living expenses (usually tuition amount +$10,000 for expenses). 

Consult the nearest CIC office for the full list of requirements. For more detailed information on the immigration regulations see the Centre for International Experience website.



Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) requires that international students under the age of eighteen have a Canadian citizen act as a custodian. The University of Toronto cannot take on this responsibility. It will be the responsibility of the student's family to satisfy this requirement. The Custodianship Declaration form can be accessed from the Government of Canada website.