(Updated June 11, 2020)
All requests to resume on and off-campus research activities that have been shut-down or prevented from starting as a result of COVID-19 require the approval of the Vice-Dean Research in the Faculty of Arts & Science.
At this time, we invite applications that fall within the following two parameters of the University of Toronto Approach to Research Recovery & Adaptation:
- Phase 1 of the On-Campus Research Recovery Plan - see Table 1 of the Approach to Research Recovery & Adaptation.
- Level 1 & 2 of the Off-campus field & third-party site Research Recovery Plan - see Table 2 of the Approach to Research Recovery & Adaptation.
Note, all re-start requests will be assessed using the following institutional documents and Principal Investigators (PIs) are required to review them before completing the A&S Research Re-Start and Recovery online application process:
- Principles for Research Recovery and Adaptation
- Approach for Research Recovery and Adaptation
- COVID-19 Guideline for Reopening Research Spaces
- COVID-19 General Workplace Guidelines
- School of Graduate Studies Research Engagement/Re-Engagement Planning Guidelines
PI Online Application Submission Instructions
The below instructions are applicable for all PI research re-start requests, with the exception of Field-Work requests for Koffler Scientific Reserve - KSR-specific instructions immediately below this section.
- To submit your A&S Research Re-start and Recovery application, go to the A&S PI online application platform and follow the submission instructions.
- Ensure you select the Department where you hold your primary academic appointment.
- Once submitted, your application will advance to your Unit Approver (i.e., Chair or Director) for review and approval, followed by Vice Dean Research review.
Completed applications include:
- Simple form fill application identification details — completed directly on the platform.
- One single attachment (PDF or Word) upload that includes:
1. Completed application form, as applicable to the request (i.e., On-campus or Off-Campus).
2. Attestations forms for any:
- Graduate students engaged in research towards degree completion and
- Non-employee postdocs, for example those that are funded through external fellowships awarded directly to the postdoc. Access the form COVID -19 Graduate Student/Post- Doctoral Fellow Declaration: Conducting Research On-campus Or At An Off-campus Research Site (PDF) and consult the SGS Guidelines for Research Engagement/Re-Engagement Planning.
3. Additional documents as required i.e., laboratory Standard Operating Procedures and any other supporting documentation.
PI Instructions — Field-work Requests for Koffler Scientific Reserve
Submit your completed Principal Investigator (PI) Research Re-start Request Form — Off-campus Field & Third-party Site Research (Word) directly to John Stinchcombe, Director of KSR (firstname.lastname@example.org), who will review and make recommendations to the Vice Dean Research.
Completed applications include – one single attachment (PDF or Word), including:
- Completed Off-campus application form.
- Attestations forms for any: 1) Graduate students engaged in research towards degree completion and 2) non-employee postdocs (i.e., those that are funded through external fellowships awarded directly to the postdoc). Access the form COVID -19 Graduate Student/Post- Doctoral Fellow Declaration: Conducting Research On-campus Or At An Off-campus Research Site (PDF) and consult the SGS Guidelines for Research Engagement/Re-Engagement Planning. See the Post Application Approval Process (below) for details regarding employee postdocs and staff.
- Additional supporting documents, as required.
Unit Approver (Chair/Director) Review and Approval Instructions
- Each time a PI submits an application, you will receive an email notification via Microsoft Flow – Subject “For Chair/Director Review…”.
- To review the application, follow the prompts in the message to access the file.
- Note: It is important that you not delete these messages until you have either approved or rejected the application via the email message. This is required in order to move the application through the approval workflow.
- If you approve the application, it will advance in the workflow to the Vice Dean Research for review and approval.
Additional Considerations for PI’s & Units
- During the phased re-start process, PIs, research trainees and staff who can perform work from home will be required to do so.
- Unless they are employed as research staff, undergraduate students should not be listed for phase 1 restart applications.
- At this time, applications should not include proposals to welcome Visitors to on-campus research laboratories or facilities.
- Only research that requires the use of infrastructure and resources that can only be utilized on campus will be considered for on-campus research activity.
- As a general rule, PIs with research groups that need to be on-campus should not be proposing more than 25% research team on-campus occupancy at any given time of the day. If both the unit (i.e., building, core facility, etc.) and the individual PI research space can accommodate more than 25% occupancy while ensuring the 2m distancing regulation, both the individual Unit plan and the PI plan should justify this.
- Only individuals with approved building access will be allowed to access buildings. The buildings will remain closed to the public at this time.
- In addition to prioritizing critical research activities, late stage graduate trainees, and time-sensitive externally funded research, we will prioritize early career researchers and consider principles of equity, diversity and inclusion.
Post Application Approval Process
- Once approved, PIs will receive an approval notification via Microsoft Flow.
- For each approved PI re-start proposal, the A&S Research Services Office will provide A&S Human Resources with a list of employee postdocs (i.e., those funded by PIs, units, Arts & Science, or the University), research associates, and other paid research staff, all of whom will require letters of employment regarding their schedule and duties prior to returning to the campus.
- A&S HR will provide template letters to respective business officers/managers once the list of employees is sent to HR.
- For on-campus research, A&S Research Services will also provide Facilities & Services with a list of Buildings, Floors, and Room numbers where approved research is scheduled to resume.