Where Can I Study?

Letters of Permission and Transfer Credit: Where Can I Study?

Universities in Canada and the United States:

  • You are advised to obtain a Letter of Permission prior to beginning studies at an institution in Canada or the United States.
  • York University, Ryerson University, and OCAD: Students living within commuting distance of the Faculty may be eligible to receive transfer credit for studies completed at the above institutions only if a similar course is NOT offered in the Faculty during the same session. Students are strongly advised to Request a Letter of Permission prior to undertaking such studies.

Post-secondary institutions in all countries other than Canada and the United States:

  • Refer to the list of institutions for which you may request pre-approval of post-admission transfer credit (under Letter of Permission) and submit the application before taking the course(s). Once approved, you will be issued a Conditional Post-admission Transfer Credit letter for your own reference. Should you wish to receive transfer credit for studies completed at a post-secondary institution not on this list, you must submit a Request for Transfer Credit after the completion of your studies.
  • Students are responsible for:
    • ensuring that an official transcript is sent directly from the host institution to the Transfer Credit Section; 
    • ensuring verification by either the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Centre (CDGDC) or China Credentials Verification (CHESICC) for studies completed in China;
    • ensuring that a copy of the transcript is also obtained from the host institution for their own records, and; 
    • finding out from the host institution what its policies and procedures are for issuing duplicate transcripts. 
  • NOTE: The Faculty cannot release transcripts/academic records received from other institutions either to the student or to another institution. 
  • It is your responsibility to select the host institution and make arrangements with the institution where you wish to study as a visiting/non-degree/special student. 
  • As a publicly-funded institution, the University of Toronto refers to The Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) to assess the risks associated with a particular country. These DFATD country advisories put a country or region into one of four categories:
    1) Exercise normal security precautions.
    2) Exercise a high degree of caution.
    3) Avoid non-essential travel.
    4) Avoid all travel.
    The Safety Abroad Guidelines permit all students to go to level 1 and 2 countries. However, travel to countries that fall into levels 3 or 4 is restricted to graduate students and, even in these situations, a student must make a strong case to be granted permission to travel to higher risk destinations under the auspices of the University. Advisories are updated daily and available on the DFATD website

Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology (CAATs) & Colleges of Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning (CITALs):

  • You must have completed at least a two-year diploma program at a CAAT/CITAL in order to be eligible for transfer credit. Should you wish to receive transfer credit for such studies, you must submit a Request for Transfer Credit after the completion of your studies.  You may be requested to attend departmental interviews and/or present a portfolio of your work. 

Next: Procedures