Frequently Asked Questions

Letters of Permission & Transfer Credit: Frequently Asked Questions

In the Faculty of Arts & Science, University of Toronto:

  • a request for a Letter of Permission should be submitted (including payment) at least three weeks prior to the application deadline at the host university; 
  • since processing times may vary depending on the time of year, the number of courses requested, and the volume of requests, it is best to apply well in advance of the above deadline. 

At the host university:

  • students are responsible for contacting the host university to determine application deadlines, documentation requirements, and all other aspects related to the admission and registration process at the host institution.

Provided that the host university allows it, you may enrol in a course there without requesting a Letter of Permission. Your eligibility for transfer credit, however, will not be determined until either a request for a Letter of Permission (prior to enrolling in the course) or for Transfer Credit (upon completion of the course) has been submitted and processed. There is no guarantee, therefore, that coursework completed elsewhere will be transferred towards your degree program in the Faculty of Arts & Science here.

You must submit a request for Transfer Credit (Post-Admission) to find out if you are eligible to receive transfer credit for the course work completed at another institution.

No. If you have already been granted a Letter of Permission, you do not have to submit a Request for Transfer Credit once the courses are completed. Please see Resolving Letters of Permission.

No. Restrictions exist on the number of courses that can be shared between two degree programs. Therefore, by registering as a degree student, your eligibility for transfer credit towards your degree in the Faculty of Arts & Science at the University of Toronto may be jeopardized.

If you wish to transfer course work completed at another university towards the completion of your degree requirements here, the official transcript from the host university should show your registration status as that of a Non-Degree, Visiting, or Special Student.

You are required to:

  • Complete the online Transfer Credit application
  • Submit an official transcript directly to the Transfer Credit Section, Office of the Faculty Registrar; 
  • Take the French Placement Test (mandatory) and forward the French Placement Test results to our office at Please include your student number with the result. Contact the Department of French at 416-926-2302 to make an appointment to take the test.
  • The French Placement Test must be completed within one year from the completion of the course in order to be considered for transfer credit.
  • Please be aware that one full level higher than the last examined level must be achieved on the placement test for transfer credit to be awarded.
  • Please click here for the list of institutions participating in the Explore Program. The Faculty does not accept transfer credit from every institution as noted in the list.

You do not need a Letter of Permission to take courses at another Division of the University of Toronto. Please refer to Taking Courses Outside the Faculty for more information.

Add ‘0’ (zero) in front of your student number to convert it into a 10 digit format.

For example, if your student number is 991234567, please enter 0991234567.

(a) You may list up to a maximum of twelve half courses on a Request for Letter of Permission. As the host university may have enrolment limits or restrictions on its courses for visiting students, it is prudent to request more courses to be assessed than what you intend to take at the host university. This may provide you with a wider range of courses from which you can choose, thereby avoiding the need for an Addendum. However, please keep in mind that the more courses requested, the longer the processing time.

(b) There is a limit on the maximum number of credits you may transfer towards your degree in the Faculty of Arts & Science at the University of Toronto. The limit depends on the number of transfer credits received on-admission and post-admission. Please see Transfer Credit Chart.