Letters of Permission and Transfer Credit (Post-Admission)
- Course equivalencies for Korea University and Yonsei University can be found on Transfer Explorer.
- Summer Studies Opportunities - For students interested in taking courses overseas, the Centre for International Experience (CIE) offers many study abroad opportunities. Such studies are considered post-admission transfer credit. See the Faculty of Arts & Science Calendar for further details. Alternatively, the Woodsworth College Summer Abroad program offers overseas opportunities while obtaining FAS credits.
- Summer studies in China – As noted above you should explore the CIE offerings through the University’s partner institutions in China. Alternatively, WDW Study Abroad offers courses in China over the summer session which are U of T credits. Outside of these opportunities, transfer credit for studies completed in China during the summer session will only be considered where the courses are part of the degree program of a degree granting recognized institution and where proof of registration and issuance of the final official transcript is through the Registrar’s Office of that institution.
- Acceptable Summer studies in China options for post-admission transfer credit:
- Participate through an exchange partner institution
- Apply for a Letter of Permission through a recognized post-secondary institution offering exchange opportunities through their study abroad.
To gain post-admission transfer credit from summer session studies in China, the Faculty encourages you to consider the following two approved options:
One can either consider going through CIE or independently. The deadline for applications through CIE is March 10th. Acceptable institutions:
- Fudan University
- Peking University
In order to receive 1.0 FCE from either Fudan University or Peking University you will need to enrol in 6.0 units. Most courses carry a credit weight of 2.0 units. Therefore, you will need to complete at least two 2.0 unit courses for a half credit and three 2.0 unit courses for a full credit. Check Transfer Explorer for previously assessed credits. As these institutions are partner institutions, verification of studies through a government agency is not required. In the event you decide to complete studies at either one of these institutions independently, you will need to apply for post-admission transfer credit upon your return.
- Portland State University, OR
- Texas Wesleyan University, TX
- Bridgewater State University, MA
- Eastern Michigan University, MI
- Seminole State College of Florida, FL
- Framingham State University, MA
Currently, the Faculty of Arts & Science will only consider awarding transfer credit for study abroad programs in China offered by these recognized institutions. You will need to apply for a Letter of Permission for this option.
Start Date for Letter of Permission Requests
Letter of Permission Requests for the Summer Session (May - August) begins in January.
Letter of Permission Requests for the Fall/ Winter Session (September - April) begins in May.
Requests for Letters of Permission and Requests for Transfer Credit are assessed in accordance with the policies and regulations of the Faculty of Arts & Science and, where necessary, in consultation with the departmental advisers for the disciplines being assessed.