Transfer Credit and Letters of Permission: Post-Admission

Letters of Permission and Transfer Credit (Post-Admission)

Purpose    Eligibility    Criteria for Selecting Courses

Other Issues ...    Where Can I Study?    Procedures

Resolution     Frequently Asked Questions    French Explore Program

Recognized Institutions    Additional Institution List


  • Course equivalencies for Korea University and Yonsei University can be found on Transfer Explorer.
  • Summer Studies Opportunities - For students interested in taking courses overseas, the Centre for International Experience (CIE) offers many study abroad opportunities. Such studies are considered post-admission transfer credit. See the Faculty of Arts & Science Calendar for further details. Alternatively, the Woodsworth College Summer Abroad program offers overseas opportunities while obtaining FAS credits. 
  • Summer studies in China – As noted above you should explore the CIE offerings through the University’s partner institutions in China.  Alternatively, WDW Study Abroad offers courses in China over the summer session which are U of T credits.  Outside of these opportunities, transfer credit for studies completed in China during the summer session will only be considered where the courses are part of the degree program of a degree granting recognized institution and where proof of registration and issuance of the final official transcript is through the Registrar’s Office of that institution.
  • Acceptable Summer studies in China options for post-admission transfer credit:
    • Participate through an exchange partner institution
    • Apply for a Letter of Permission through a recognized post-secondary institution offering exchange opportunities through their study abroad.
  • To gain post-admission transfer credit from summer session studies in China, the Faculty encourages you to consider the following two approved options:

One can either consider going through CIE or independently. The deadline for applications through CIE is March 10th. Acceptable institutions:

  1. Fudan University
  2. Peking University

In order to receive 1.0 FCE from either Fudan University or Peking University you will need to enrol in 6.0 units. Most courses carry a credit weight of 2.0 units. Therefore, you will need to complete at least two 2.0 unit courses for a half credit and three 2.0 unit courses for a full credit. Check Transfer Explorer for previously assessed credits. As these institutions are partner institutions, verification of studies through a government agency is not required. In the event you decide to complete studies at either one of these institutions independently, you will need to apply for post-admission transfer credit upon your return.

  1. Portland State University, OR
  2. Texas Wesleyan University, TX
  3. Bridgewater State University, MA
  4. Eastern Michigan University, MI
  5. Seminole State College of Florida, FL
  6. Framingham State University, MA

Currently, the Faculty of Arts & Science will only consider awarding transfer credit for study abroad programs in China offered by these recognized institutions. You will need to apply for a Letter of Permission for this option.


Start Date for Letter of Permission Requests

Letter of Permission Requests for the Summer Session (May - August) begins in January.

Letter of Permission Requests for the Fall/ Winter Session (September - April) begins in May.

Requests for Letters of Permission and Requests for Transfer Credit are assessed in accordance with the policies and regulations of the Faculty of Arts & Science and, where necessary, in consultation with the departmental advisers for the disciplines being assessed.

Web Application