The Dean’s Student Initiatives Fund has been established to provide financial support for student initiatives that aspire to create dialogue and foster a greater sense of community through special events, lectures, or other forms of community engagement.
The Dean's Student Initiative Fund is open to undergraduate students enrolled in the Faculty of Arts & Science or student groups where the applicant is enrolled in the Faculty of Arts & Science.
Graduate students please refer to the Milestones and Pathways Program page.
The following criteria will be considered in evaluating proposals:
- Does the proposal fulfill an educational purpose for Arts & Science students?
- Does the proposal promote dialogue? Special consideration will be given to proposals that promote cross-cultural dialogue.
- Does the proposal create a forum for various viewpoints?
- Does the proposal engage with communities within and outside of campus boundaries?
- Is the proposal realistic, with credible timelines, resource requirements, and goals?
- Will the proposal be of sufficiently broad interest to engage a significant portion of the student community?
Variable depending on project budget [maximum $1000].
- Priority is given to organizations that are seeking funding for the first time. Sponsors of annual events (e.g. conferences, symposiums) who are applying for one-time-only funding should demonstrate the innovative components of the event for which they are applying.
- Repeat applicants need to demonstrate how the funds were used in the past by submitting a report of the funded event.
- Applicants for activities intended to be on-going or annual should demonstrate plans to become self-sustaining. The Fund should be viewed only as start-up assistance for such activities.
- Journals and magazines should focus on electronic dissemination. Hard copy printing costs will not be considered.
- The Fund does not fund catering costs.
- The Fund does not fund for individual students requesting travel for research, delivering papers, or taking courses. Graduate students requesting funds for travel should contact their home unit. Undergraduate students should approach their college or program sponsor.
All components of the application must be submitted. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications must include the following:
- Dean's Student Initiative Fund Application Form
- Detailed proposal: The application must include a detailed description of the proposal, and should indicate how the proposal fulfils the eligibility criteria listed above.
- Budget: The application must include an approximate breakdown of expenses. The budget should also indicate any other sources of funding. Applications requesting matching funds for funds already raised will be at an advantage.
- Letters of support: The application must include at least two letters of support for the proposal from students, faculty, staff, alumni, or community members. At least one of these must be from a University of Toronto faculty or staff member.