This option is available to students currently registered degree students in the Faculty of Arts & Science. If you are registered in another division/faculty and you are taking an Arts & Science course, contact your faculty or divisional registrar's office for assistance. Note that the CR/NCR option may not be available at your faculty or division.
Degree students in the Faculty of Arts & Science may select up to 2.0 full-course equivalents* of their degree credits offered by the Faculty of Arts & Science (St. George), the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design, UTM** or UTSC** to be assessed on a Credit/ No Credit (CR/NCR) basis. See below for list of exceptions. Courses with a final status of CR do not affect the GPA. They will count towards Distribution/Breadth Requirements and degree credits, but cannot be used to satisfy Program requirements.
The CR/NCR option was created to encourage you to expand your possible course choices to areas where you think you have interest, but may not be confident about how well you will do. With the CR/NCR option, course results don't impact your GPA. And if you find that you're doing better in it than expected, you may still choose to remove the CR/NCR option providing you do so by the deadline to cancel the course without academic penalty.
Why should a student NOT consider the CR/NCR option?
- You need the course for a Program. You may not use a course taken on a CR/NCR basis to satisfy Program requirements, nor the 12.0 different FCE requirement between Programs for your degree. Therefore, if there is any chance in the future that you may want to enroll in a Program which requires a particular course as an entry or a program requirement, you should NOT choose the CR/NCR option. Remember that you have until the course drop deadline to make this decision, so you should consider your options carefully and contact your college registrar’s office if you need advice.
may need certification of the grade in the future. The numerical/letter grade in courses taken on a
CR/NCR basis will not appear on the transcript and will not be unofficially
released or reported in any way. If you think you may need to provide your
grades in any or all of your courses for professional/graduate school
applications or other reasons in the future, you should NOT choose the CR/NCR
|Important things you need to know about the CR/NCR option:
* Effective 2012 Summer session
The Faculty of Arts & Science (St. George) CR/NCR option is available for:
- current undergraduate degree students in the Faculty of Arts & Science, St. George campus
The Faculty of Arts & Science (St. George) CR/NCR option is NOT available for:
- Faculty of Arts & Science non-degree students (see below for note to graduating students);
- students from other faculties or divisions who are taking an Arts & Science course (except current undergraduate degree students in the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design, UTM, and UTSC);
- courses offered by other divisions taken by Arts & Science students (except eligible courses offered by the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design, UTM and UTSC).
- courses where an individual student works on independent study or individual research supervised by a professor; First Year Seminars (199s); Research Opportunity Program (299s); Research Excursions (399s); Foundational Year Program courses (College Ones, Munk One); Rotman Commerce (RSM) courses; field courses; courses evaluated on Pass/Fail basis
** Effective 2013-14 Fall/Winter session, St. George Arts & Science students may apply the CR/NCR option to courses taken at University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) or University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC). Not all courses at UTM/UTSC may be eligible -- check with the relevant campus.
When can I add or remove a CR/NCR option?
Eligible students may add a CR/NCR option beginning on the first day of classes of the relevant session.
The deadline to add or remove a CR/NCR option is the same as the deadline to drop the course without academic penalty. See the relevant sessional Timetable for exact dates. If you miss this deadline and have concerns about your progress in courses, you should seek advice at your College Registrar’s office without delay.
How do I add or remove a CR/NCR option?
Students may add or remove a CR/NCR option directly on ACORN. You will be able to view your past and present CR/NCR selections on ACORN.
Before you add or remove a CR/NCR option, read the advice above on when you should or shouldn't consider this option. If you have questions or need further advice, contact your college registrar's office.
Last updated: May 3, 2016