Degree students in the Faculty of Arts & Science and the Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design may select up to 2.0 full-course equivalents* of their degree credits offered by the Faculty of Arts & Science (St. George), UTM** or UTSC** to be assessed on a Credit/ No Credit (CR/NCR) basis. See below for list of exceptions. Courses with a final status of CR do not affect the GPA. They will count towards Distribution/Breadth Requirements and degree credits, but cannot be used to satisfy Subject POSt requirements.
The CR/NCR option was created to encourage you to expand your possible course choices to areas where you think you have interest, but may not be confident about how well you will do. With the CR/NCR option, course results don't impact your GPA. And if you find that you're doing better in it than expected, you may still choose to remove the CR/NCR option providing you do so by the deadline to cancel the course without academic penalty.
Why should a student NOT consider the CR/NCR option?
- You need the course for a Subject POSt. You may not use a course taken on a CR/NCR basis to satisfy Subject POSt requirements, nor the 12.0 different FCE requirement between Subject POSts for your degree. Therefore, if there is any chance in the future that you may want to enroll in a Subject POSt which requires a particular course as an entry or a program requirement, you should NOT choose the CR/NCR option. Remember that you have until the course drop deadline to make this decision, so you should consider your options carefully and contact your college registrar’s office if you need advice.
may need certification of the grade in the future. The numerical/letter grade in courses taken on a
CR/NCR basis will not appear on the transcript and will not be unofficially
released or reported in any way. If you think you may need to provide your
grades in any or all of your courses for professional/graduate school
applications or other reasons in the future, you should NOT choose the CR/NCR
|Important things you need to know about the CR/NCR option:
* Effective 2012 Summer session
The Faculty of Arts & Science (St. George) CR/NCR option is available for:
- current undergraduate degree students in the Faculty of Arts & Science, St. George campus;
- current undergraduate degree students in the Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design.
The Faculty of Arts & Science (St. George) CR/NCR option is NOT available for:
- Faculty of Arts & Science non-degree students;
- students from other faculties or divisions who are taking an Arts & Science course (except current undergraduate degree students in the Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design, UTM, UTSC);
- courses offered by other divisions taken by Arts & Science or Architecture degree students.
- courses where an individual student works on independent study or individual research supervised by a professor; First Year Seminars (199s); Research Opportunity Program (299s); Research Excursions (399s); Foundational Year Program courses (College Ones, Munk One); Rotman Commerce (RSM) courses; field courses; courses taken as part of the Summer Abroad program; courses evaluated on Pass/Fail basis
When can I add or remove a CR/NCR option?
Eligible students may add a CR/NCR option beginning on the first day of classes of the relevant session.
The deadline to add or remove a CR/NCR option is the same as the deadline to drop the course without academic penalty. See the Faculty's Important Dates section for exact dates. Once the deadline has passed, students may not reverse this decision.
How do I add or remove a CR/NCR option?
Students may add or remove a CR/NCR option directly on ROSI. You will be able to view your past and present CR/NCR selections on ROSI.
Before you add or remove a CR/NCR option, read the advice above on when you should or shouldn't consider this option. If you have questions or need further advice, contact your college registrar's office.
Last updated: April 4, 2014